Friday, September 21, 2007

The Kite Runner

Title: The Kite Runner
Author: Khaled Hosseini
Recommended by: Francine Ndaribamare, Aaron Kite, and my mother.

Well, a bunch of people have recommended this book to me, but I've been pretty hesitant to pick it up. It's about Afghanistan, and my last experience with Afghanistan was Rambo 3, and that movie was really boring for the first like 40 minutes. (sidenote: I hear that Rambo 3 picks up at the end, and he blows up a horizon, or something like that) Anyway, I finally decided to give this book a go.

The story is about the life of a boy who grew up in Afghanistan, and then flees the country with his father after the political structure of the country starts to fail. Also, the story involves the boy's best friend, who is his family's servant, and the events that bring them apart. The story also has some pretty dark spots.

I really liked all of the characters in this book, I thought they all had very strong presences in the story. The main thing I didn't like was that the main character never really seems to change. In the story of him growing up, and into his adult life, he pretty much always acts the same way. And I guess it's a type of character development to have the character always fall into the same traps, but I enjoy a more dynamic development, involving epiphany and change. I also really enjoyed the ending of this story, I thought it was very strong, building up from the whole story, without the need for any shock value.

Recommendation: 7/10, If it's between reading this book, or watching Rambo 2, I'd watch Rambo 2. Because Rambo blows up a waterfall in it.

No comments: