Thursday, August 2, 2007

Robinson Crusoe

Title: Robinson Crusoe
Author: Daniel Defoe
Recommended by: John Jencson

This book also came recommended in the conversation with John Jencson about reading the classics. Always a good idea.

This book is about a man who grows up in an upper middle class type of family, but is intrigued by the sea, and leaves to make his fortune at sea against his father's wishes. He gets shipwrecked alone, and lives for more than 20 years on an island. He's pretty clever in how he makes his life easier on the island, and how he stays busy with the grand projects he undertakes.

Maybe my favorite thing about this book is his faith, how he leaves it as a youth, and returns in times of trouble, only to lose it when the danger's past, to his finding full comfort in it. What I really like is that the book seems to reference the topic of faith in such an easy way. It's clear that it's not what the book is about, but it's also clearly a part of the character. I thought both The Itching Parrot and The Count of Monte Cristo both did a great job with this too. It's probably due to the fact that these books all came from a couple hundred years ago.

Anyway, it was a great book, my only complaint was that the only copy I had was from like 1960. And since I'm a big fan of early modern english writing, I felt I missed out since I had a "updated" translation.

Recommendation: 9/10, It's a great story, and connects the reader well with the main character.

No comments: